top of page

S1 and the Non Lucrative Visa (NLV).

Updated: May 20

If you need help (pre)/registering your S1 with INSS please apply below, we shall apply on your behalf and send you (pre)/registration via email, the cost of the service is £50

The following article sets out to explain what the S1 is, where to apply for it and how to register it once you have it.

It is not exactly bedtime reading, however, it is important that if you are moving on an NLV you read the article because there are things you definitely need to consider.

What is S1?

Simply put, S1 allows individuals in receipt of a UK state pension and who are resident in Spain (or intend to move to Spain) to receive UK FUNDED STATE HEALTHCARE IN SPAIN thus doing away with the need for expensive long term Private Health Insurance when they apply for a Non Lucrative Visa.

Furthermore, if you are a dependent of someone in possession of S1, you too will be able to receive the same UK funded healthcare in Spain.

How Do I request the S1 Certificate?

The application form for the S1 form is provided by the Overseas Healthcare Services which forms part of the NHS Businesses Service Authority or BSA.

You may request the form by telephone

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services +44 (0)191 218 1999

Opening times Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm and Saturday, 9am to 3pm

OR by sending an email to

Please bear in mind that you will be required to provide the following information:

  1. Your National Insurance number (NINO)

  2. The date you received your first pension payment

  3. The date that you moved to Spain OR the date you intend to move to Spain*

  4. You will also need to provide an address in Spain (but it doesn’t need to be yours, it could be a friend’s, relative’s or even a professionals address) AND This doesn’t mean the certificate will be sent to Spain they WILL send it to your UK address.


* "the date you intend to move to Spain" It needs careful thought for ONE very crucial reason, the date that you give needs to anticipate when you are likely to get the visa, so for example I have an appointment on the 12th August, I think it will take about 2 months to process so I ask for my S1 to start on the 15th October. Please note that if your S1 (health cover) commences on the 15th October this will be the earliest date your visa will start.

Why does it matter that the S1 start date coincides with the Visa start date? The date your S1 commences is the date you will lose access to the NHS in the UK and to boot your GHIC will become invalid also. Let that sink in for one moment, whilst I now give you even more bad news, because until you arrive in Spain and obtain your TIE you cannot FULLY register with the Spanish Health Authorities SO YOU ARE NOT COVERED IN SPAIN EITHER!! You can see there is going to be a period of time where you will not have any health cover, it will be unavoidable.

We are trying to put in place a short term health policy that will last for 3 to 6 months to cover this gap. At the time of writing we expect the cost for someone up to 75 to be around 500€ for full cover including emergencies.

I have my certificate, what next?

Before attending your interview you need to pre-register your S1 (not to be confused with full registration which is what you need to do when you have your TIE).

So… let the registration process commence!!!

Registering your S1 (Visa applicants).

YOU are going to need the following:

Scanned S1 certificate/form.

Completed application form. You can download it here

Passport (TIE and/or NIE where applicable)

If applying for a dependant, proof of relationship.

We recommend you complete the application form before starting the registration process, because once you start the session will expire after 30 minutes.

You register your S1 via the Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social (INSS) online portal via this link INSS and follow the instructions below!

Screen 1 - click "Enviar Solicitud".

S1 Registration Page 1

Screen 2 - is where you enter your name, passport details and email address. Once you have entered your details click Siguiente "Next".

Screen 3- is a continuation of screen 2, you are now going to verify your email address by entering the code number sent to you email THEN click "Verificar".

Screen 4 - You are going to upload three images into the system. First, you will have to take a self-portrait holding your ID/PASSPORT document. You can click “Hacer Foto'' to activate the camera from your device and take the photo.

Then you need to upload two photos of your passport remember this process is intended for people with TIE's (where there is a distinctive front and back) So... in the case of a Passport attach an image of the front cover where it says CARA FRONTAL, and then an image of the "photo page of the passport WITH the personal data on" on the back Side - CARA TRASERA.

Click Siguiente to continue.

Screen 5 - A lot of this screen is pre filled with previous answers. You will need however to enter your nationality from a drop down menu - in this case I selected Reino Unido (United Kingdom).

In the first text box "Informaćion Additional" enter the following text "El registro previo de S1 es un requisito para solicitudes de visa no lucrativas. El registro completo se realizará una vez que se emita la visa y se pueda obtener una tarjeta TIE".

Then you will need to enter your Personal Identification Number PIN (this is shown on the S1 form itself see second image down), after which you will specify the province, city and postal code of your address together with your mobile phone number. Once you are done with this, press “Siguiente”.

Screen 6 - Moving on, we are nearly finished! The next step consists of uploading into the system all the required documents for your application. Formulario de Solicitud is where you upload the Spanish S1 application form (NOT your S1 form).

If you have already completed the application form, upload the document by clicking “Adjuntar”. If you haven’t yet completed that form, you can download it by using the link provided download here. Please keep in mind that the session will expire in 30 minutes after entering the website, so we advise having all documents prepared beforehand.

Once you have uploaded the Spanish application form, you can use the section “Añadir otros documentos” to upload the rest of your documents. You will need to upload the following;

Your S1 form.

Your residency favourable resolution issued by Extranjería (in case the police haven’t issued your TIE yet).

Proof of relationship to the dependant, if applicable.


Please note NLV applicants pre-registering will only have the S1 form to upload.

Once you have uploaded the documents click Siguiente/Continue.

Screen 7 - After uploading your documents, you will need to give consent to the INSS to communicate with you via mobile phone, email and the other contact details previously provided. You can do so by ticking the box “Sí, doy mi consentimiento”. This consent will only affect issues regarding Social Security matters.

To finalise the process draw your signature "firma" manually with your cursor in the box that will appear below. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but you can erase it and draw it again by clicking “Borrar” if you make a mistake.

Once you are happy with the signature press “Terminar” to save the signature, after which press Siguiente - Next.


You are now shown a complete summary of the application, all that is required is for you to submit the registration by clicking the "Enviar" button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

MORE Questions?

Can I get cover while waiting for my TIE with an S1? The Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC)

You may have come across the following statement on other sites, it implies that if you need medical treatment you can simply apply for a PRC.

If you are have S1, and are applying for residency (or are currently waiting for an appointment) but you have not yet registered your S1 at the INSS because you are waiting for the paperwork to be completed.
Then, if you are in this situation, and you need to access necessary medical care, you can call the Overseas Healthcare Service - OHS (+44 191 218 1999) and ask for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) to cover your immediate treatment you need. The OHS will require some additional information in order to issue you with a PRC, such as the name of the hospital or health centre. The Provisional Replacement Certificate should be presented at your local health centre or A&E department at the hospital at the point at which you access treatment.

I questioned this, because it seems very odd that both your access to UK state care and your GHIC is cancelled, so why would they then allow a provisional certificate. Is that not a continuation of the GHIC in all but name?

The answer is as follows;

If an individual is moving to Spain and already holds an EHIC/GHIC then they should ideally return that to us when they move. These can then be reapplied for when Spain informs us the S1 is fully registered.
A Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) will only be issued in very exceptional circumstances. We expect a person to pay for their treatment then claim reimbursement when the S1 is registered.

If I get an S1 form, can I still access NHS healthcare when visiting the UK?

If you are a resident under the Withdrawal Agreement you do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting the UK. This includes S1 form holders living in the EU, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway or Lichtenstein, on or before 31 December 2020.

You need to take a copy of your S1 form with you when you visit the UK. You may be asked to present this if you need to access treatment. If you no longer hold a copy, you can call Overseas Healthcare Services (0191 218 1999) and request a copy.

Spanish residents not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement. The NHS is a residency-based system, under NHS rules UK nationals who move abroad on a permanent basis lose their entitlement to free NHS healthcare. Consequently you should take out appropriate travel insurance when visiting the UK, as you would when visiting any other country. Any treatment you may have to pay for will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.

We will update the article as and when there are updates.

In the meantime if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page