top of page

A Guide To The Non Lucrative Visa (NLV)

Updated: Jun 15

Updated June 2024

The NON-Lucrative Visa.

The non-lucrative visa (NLV, and often referred to as the retirement or none-working visa) is a Spanish visa available to non-EU citizens who have sufficient economic means to stay in Spain without engaging in any work or professional activity

What is sufficient economic means?

In short, you will require the equivalent of €28,800* (for the first applicant) and €7,200* per person thereafter.

These amounts can be made up of passive income (state pension, occupational pensions), savings (including investments and pension pots) or a combination of the two.

*€28,800 for information is 4 X IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples). The IPREM is announced by the Spanish authorities annually in January, it can increase so you need to be aware that financial requirements can also increase.

How long does the visa last?

A question we are often asked, the visa itself has a shelf life of only 3 months from the date of issue (clearly shown on the visa), during those three months you need to get over to Spain and have the VISA stamped.

Once you arrive you have 1 month to register yourself on the padron and apply for the tarjeta de identidad de extranjero or TIE. Your TIE is your residency and lasts initially for 1 year, before you need to renew.

When do I renew?

The first renewal is after one year (you can renew 60 days before your visa expires or up to 3 months after) at which point you will receive a two year visa (covering years 2 and 3) and then again at the end of year three you will renew for years 4 and 5.

Renewals are applied for in Spain.

After living in Spain continuously for 5 years, on your third renewal you can request a permanent residency permit, this will be valid for 10 years and will grant you access to the Spanish State Healthcare system (in theory, as not all areas are willing), travel discounts and other benefits available to Spanish nationals and permanent residents.

What are the implications of the 2 year visa - double the income/savings?

Much has been written about the need for double the income/savings in year 2, there is no doubt about it is a grey area.

Ok, because you are applying for a two year visa most areas require you to show sufficient economic means to cover the entire two year period, in other words double the amount required in year 1.

eg. MR S applies for a visa in the UK and has combined pensions of €20,000 and he supplement this with savings of at least €8000 thus meeting the financial requirements.

On renewal, the figure the Spanish authorities are looking for is €56,000 (double the 28K) it is assumed that his pensions are regular monthly/quarterly/annual payments so that over the two years he will receive €40,000. That’s ok, however he will need to make up the shortfall of €16,000 in savings.

What are the implications of the 2 year visa - is it double everywhere in Spain?

No, some areas interpret the rules differently, Almeria being one, there they are accepting people who only have €28,000 in other words they are not requiring double!

We have spoken to the lawyer in Almeria who first broke the news of this change in rule interpretation. He mentioned that he’d toyed with the idea of requesting a national review so that all areas were forced to use the same basis. However he decided to let sleeping dog lie because there was always the risk the decision would be to reaffirm the “double” requirements and that he’d didn’t want.

What are the implications of the 2 year visa - what is the advice?

Personally I would air on the side of safety and having double the amount is always recommended.

Can I work with a NLV?

No and that includes remotely, but you do have an option to modify your visa after 1 year to include the ability to either work or become autonomo (self-employed).

I think I meet all the requirements and want to proceed to apply for a NLV, are there any reasons it could be declined?

I understand this is a concern many people have, because for example they have sold properties to fund their move or resigned their job (which you need to do).

There is absolutely no reason why you will be rejected IF you meet the financial requirements, you have a clean(ish) police record and you can show that you are not working. We have a near perfect 100% record, all our clients who have applied have been granted visas (except for two who had a history of offending).

What If I am declined?

If for any reason your visa is declined the consulate is obliged to give you written details and 99% of the time it comes down to a missing or incorrect document - a common example being people not having a P45, or the incorrect doctors certificate. They will also give you 30 days to appeal, the appeal needs to be in writing (Spanish), it needs to explicitly say you are appealing against (state dates and reference numbers)…. and in support of the appeal… at this point you provide the missing or correct documents. We have a 100% record on appeals.

If a document is missing, before issuing a rejection letter, the consulate will ask for the document or outstanding information.

The areas of most concern when it comes to appeals is the ACRO, these are challenging because a police record is a police record and if you have previous for an armed robbery you might just have to concede defeat!

How long does the process take?

It can be very quick, we offer two levels of service fast where you will be ready for your appointment inside 15 days, and a more relaxed 6 weeks for those that are planning ahead.

Securing an appointment, these days can be very fast, some clients are even booking next day appointments.

Once you have had your appointment, it is anyones guess how long you will need to wait

for the visa to be issued, and much depends on the area that you are moving to, those people looking to move to Murcia are a getting a desision in days! however we always tell people to except it to take about 6 weeks.

What Documents do I need?

In no particular order:

  • ACRO (police record check)

  • Certificate of good health - issued in accordance with the 2005 international health regulations.

  • Health Cover - which can be a private health insurance policy or S1 (people in receipt of the state pension).

  • Marriage or Birth Certificates (where applicable).

  • Translations (must be translated by an approved certified translator)

  • Apostilles, an official documents need legalising (ACRO, Doctors certificate, Marriage and Birth Certificates)

  • Forms EX01, 790-52 and the National Visa Application form

  • Passport size photo

  • A passport with at least one year left on on it and it must not be over 10 years old.

  • If you are of working age a copy of your P45 or evidence that you have ceased self-employment or that you do not work.

  • If you have taken early retirement and not been working for some time a print out of your National Insurance record (available from the Government Gateway) showing that you have not made any National Insurance contributions.

  • If you are in receipt of a State Pension your annual letter showing your rate of pension for the following year (we understand that they do not require this letter to be translated) or your S1 form (see our article on S1)

  • Bank statements (recommended 12 months)

  • Other supporting documents, including evidence of lump sum payments (I’m thinking house sales inheritance).

  • In the case of children travelling with one parent, a written permission to travel document signed and witnessed by a notary and apostilled.

  • Sponsorship, by which I mean, if the bulk of the money is in one persons name you may be asked for a letter to confirm that person will cover their partners expenses in Spain. I don’t recommend providing this unless you are asked for it.

  • Proof of residence in the consular district. Your address in the UK (driving license or bank statement) To verify your consular district, please see image below.

  • And of course you need to pay the consulates application fee of €516 AND a small fee of 10€ (it mush cost them more processing the payment!). THE Consulate that you will attend depends on your location in the UK (see map below).

It depends on your location in the UK, see map.
Which Consulate Do I Attend?

Can you help with the Visa and how much will it cost?

Yes, you can apply here and the cost is £435 pp, this includes all of the above items shown in bold with the exception of the Notary costs and Insurance premiums. The insurance costs are dependent on age and pre-existing conditions.

For the S1 applicants or applicants who already have their own insurance, the cost is £570 pp.

We also offer support with obtaining TIE appointments on the Spanish side, it is an additional optional service.

You can request a call by visiting our home page or clicking the telephone box and scrolling to the bottom of the page! We are only to happy to discuss the process and to answer any questions that you have.

Alternatively, you can fill out our NLV form to set the ball rolling today!

If you have any other questions let me know and I will update the Q&A section.


The content displayed on this blog is the intellectual property of GOSPAIN You may not reuse, republish, or reprint such content without our written consent. All information posted is merely for educational and informational purposes. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Should you decide to act upon any information on this blog, you do so at your own risk. While the information on this blog has been verified to the best of our abilities, we cannot guarantee that there are no mistakes or errors. We reserve the right to change this policy at any given time, of which you will be promptly updated. If you want to make sure that you are up to date with the latest changes, we advise you to frequently visit our website disclaimer notice.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page